drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seating players

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkipDaddy
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Seating players Reply with quote

Why won't it, when you tell it to auto seat players, fill in a table from seat one, in order. It always confuses my players when there is a gap at the 10 seat table.
elefsea
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi try having 6 seats for 6 players maybe, I think this is a safe way of not having empty seats then or even 10 seats for 10 players (mmmm notice a pattern here Very Happy )
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Seating players Reply with quote

SkipDaddy wrote:
Why won't it, when you tell it to auto seat players, fill in a table from seat one, in order. It always confuses my players when there is a gap at the 10 seat table.

The random seating works this way:

- Step 1: Get the list of players to be seated randomly
- Step 2: Make sure there are enough seats
- Step 3: Pick a random player
- Step 4: Figure out which table(s) has the least number of seats used (because we want to keep things as balanced as possible
- Step 5: If Step 4 returns more than 1 table, pick one randomly
- Step 6: Pick a random open seat at the table from Step 5
- Step 7: Seat the player from Step 3 in the seat from Step 6
- Step 8: If there are more players to seat, goto Step 3
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seating players Reply with quote

SkipDaddy wrote:

I'd like to play in that game.
jumperjeff
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Seating players Reply with quote

rastapete wrote:

I'd like to play in that game.

Laughing

Me too.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Seating players Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
SkipDaddy wrote:

The random seating works this way:

- Step 1: Get the list of players to be seated randomly
- Step 2: Make sure there are enough seats
- Step 3: Pick a random player
- Step 4: Figure out which table(s) has the least number of seats used (because we want to keep things as balanced as possible
- Step 5: If Step 4 returns more than 1 table, pick one randomly
- Step 6: Pick a random open seat at the table from Step 5
- Step 7: Seat the player from Step 3 in the seat from Step 6
- Step 8: If there are more players to seat, goto Step 3

I think the original poster's issue is with Step 6 (correct me if I'm wrong).

The reason I do it that way...when it comes to filling seats at a table, *I* believe that it is just as valid to pick a random player as it is to pick a random seat (rather than the lowest seat).

Consider the following situation:

Table A:
Seat 1: Angus
Seat 2: -
Seat 3: Malcolm
Seat 4: Cliff
Seat 5: Phil
Seat 6: -

Let's assume that it is now time to seat Brian. Should he automatically go into seat 2?? I think it is more valid to randomly pick between seats 2 and 6, don't you?
SkipDaddy
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, but it's more an opinion kinda thing at this point. And yes, we would love to have you at our games. If you are ever in Columbus, OH, let me know. I'd say our quality of play matches up with anyone's. $20 or $200, it's all good. And hopefully, next time I am in the Cities, you can extend the invite as well.
Rewind
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, Columbus Ohio.

Now if I could get myself a good full time job so I can quit my second job to have some free time, I'd love to join your game where 6 people get confused if there is an open seat.
SkipDaddy
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Didn't notice, you are in Columbus. Disregard the Friend of the Dr comment, but the rest still applies, Rewind. }

It's more like 15-30 players, but like I said, we would be glad to let you take our money. We don't know nothing about no poker out here in hicksville. We's just a wanna throw our money away to you big city slickers from out West.

I get the point, don't ask questions unless your a friend of the Dr. I get it, thanks. Won't bother ya'll again.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkipDaddy wrote:
I don't.

Well, it's actually more fair.

Let's say that Phil controls half the chips at the table. We'll call the seat directly to his left "hell".

In this case, hell *is* a bad place to be...so shouldn't Angus have a 50-50 shot at getting the new person placed between him and the big stack??
SkipDaddy
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc, I was talking more about the initial placement of players. We do our own balancing, as players should always be seated to right of the dealer, and the app has no way of knowing where the button is. It would never be fair to come to a table and be a blind. Thanks so much for your help, though. It is appreciated.
Demise
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may suck, but it's fair to move into the big blind. If you move into the small blind, you sit out a hand, and the button skips you the next hand. I've played in tourneys where I've bounced to the big blind 3 times in a row. I've also played in tourneys where I was bounced to the small blind a few times, which was sweet because I was short-stacked on the bubble, and didn't need to ante for a few hands...
Stick
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: on the positive side Reply with quote

i was playing with Tournament Director for awhile, and it's seating algorithm did not leave gaps. However, I like TM's approach better.
The situation:
15 players have arrived, it's about 10 min till starting time, I can go ahead and let TM seat the 15 people that are there. I have 8 and 10 person tables, so we just pull out a chair at the missing spots and no harm done. however, if someone shows up at 5 minutes till game time, they are still given a random seat, not just the last one at the table.

Especially for large tourneys, this is nice because it takes awhile to get everyone seated. They can move the extra chairs once the game gets going.

Question, though. if I have 3 tables, and 16 people show, and I have the option marked to reduce tables to 8 per, how come the initial seating uses all 3 tables, and not just 2?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: on the positive side Reply with quote

Stick wrote:
Question, though. if I have 3 tables, and 16 people show, and I have the option marked to reduce tables to 8 per, how come the initial seating uses all 3 tables, and not just 2?

Table consolidation happens:
- After an elimination, or
- When you tell it to via the menu.

It's not going to do it right after you seat someone because for all it knows you aren't done seating people yet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: