drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TD is now charging

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rewind
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: TD is now charging Reply with quote

Just read on Scott Keen's forum that TD just came out with a new version and is starting to charge money for enhanced features.

From what people are saying with the upgrades, sounds like it's trying to become just like the good doctors program.

Time to start re-pimping TM.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TD is now charging Reply with quote

Rewind wrote:
Just read on Scott Keen's forum that TD just came out with a new version and is starting to charge money for enhanced features.

From what people are saying with the upgrades, sounds like it's trying to become just like the good doctors program.

Time to start re-pimping TM.

Yeah, looking at the new features of TD2...a lot of them look familiar.

We'll keep leapfrogging I'm sure.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I just read Scott's little review of it. Kinda harsh. Think he's got a problem slapping down $25??
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
Wow. I just read Scott's little review of it. Kinda harsh. Think he's got a problem slapping down $25??

linky?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.scottkeen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9130&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanky.
Rewind
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe, you got Scott to start coding his own program.

I do agree, while I would never touch a mac with a 5x googleplex foot pole, I hate using a windows based program. They normally look like they have been coded for Windows 3.1. And while I use IE, I don't want my poker program running out of it.

I like the Java. Nice and easy to work with. Right now I put my external sounds into the .jar file so it's easily portable. Can't do that with an .exe.

I'd be really interested in what happens with the next version of Director. Will he charge for the next version or give free upgrades if you pay for 2.0?

Keep up the great work Doc.

Oh, and I think the next two leapfrogs you need are limited control from the clients (eliminations, rebuys, etc... ) and remote control from Pocket PCs / Palm devices. (I would like the first one because I can use it now, I like the second one because it gives me an excuse to get a Pocket PC).
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rewind wrote:
Oh, and I think the next two leapfrogs you need are limited control from the clients (eliminations, rebuys, etc... ) and remote control from Pocket PCs / Palm devices. (I would like the first one because I can use it now, I like the second one because it gives me an excuse to get a Pocket PC).

Ditto

-Max
Makin' copies!
Rassal
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... i am being honest here, and i tried all version... TM, TD1.3 and TD2.0...

And when i was using TD1.3 it answered everything i needed in a tournament management software. My needs grew up, and i needed better than TD1.3... and when that happened, i found out Dr.Neau, which is awsome... the transition was hard, so many features over TD1.3... but, since TD1.3 was free, and since i don't like to pay for software i never know how long i will use them, i said to myself, heck, 3 months for 10$ is cheap, it's nice... so i paid Dr.Neau for 3 months...

Then came the java things... the laptop i use doesn't really like Java much, it's slow (Pentium M 600mhz to 1400mhz) and only 256mb of memory... but Dr.Neau TM is so awsome... that it was worth the wait (only to start the program, once started, it runs fine)

Then came out TD2.0... and i gave it a try... WOW... nice features, it now looks more and more like a little brother to Dr.Neau TM, new features, but you need to pay.... well, and i found 25$ is not cheap... so i gave it a try for 30 days... and it comes, that after a try, that's not to bitch on anyone... i like TD2.0 as much as i like Dr.Neau's TM... and the best thing, it runs so faster than TM on my laptop...

BUT...

I prefer the one time 25$ for TD2.0 to use the prog, than the 10$ for 3 months for TM... and since i use it, TM only had one upgrade... and i saw so many request not answered (discovered TM at christmas 2005) and since then i paid for the full version of TM Mid-January of 2006... and frankly... i don't think i will renew... why:

1) I don't like to pay a reccurent fee... i prefer one flat fee and well, lifetime use of the software... unless you get a new version out like a version 10 with so many added features... kinda like with an Antivirus... pay one time use it as you wish, as long as there will be support for it... and as long at it suit your needs...
2) I still think TM is superior to TD2.0... but, on my PC (Windows XP Portable Computer) TD2.0 runs faster than TM because i don't have to load up the JAVA runtime to use it that uses all my memory and slows down the computer.
3) I still think TM is awsome, but i bought TD2.0, and still plan on using the basic features that i miss in TD2.0 with TM... like the chip distribution function... but i am sure it will be implemented in TD2.0 sooner or later...

In fact, you got a superior product, it's awsome, but all features i get in TD2.0 are to my needs, and i only had to pay 25$ for it... which is not even 6 months of using TM... and my needs shouldn't grow for a couple of years, so i may save some $$$ to play more poker....

That's an opinion... and i express it... people might not like it... but that's my way...
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should transition "chip distribution" to the extended feature category?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rassal wrote:
Well... i am being honest here, and i tried all version... Then came the java things... the laptop i use doesn't really like Java much, it's slow (Pentium M 600mhz to 1400mhz) and only 256mb of memory

Can't do much about that. I will say that even Corey recommends more than 256mb on a system...

Rassal wrote:
and since i use it, TM only had one upgrade

You hit me during a dry period...but if you check out the "Development and Release News" forum, you'll see what the actual frequency has been, and is starting to be again.

Rassal wrote:
In fact, you got a superior product, it's awsome, but all features i get in TD2.0 are to my needs, and i only had to pay 25$ for it... which is not even 6 months of using TM... and my needs shouldn't grow for a couple of years, so i may save some $$$ to play more poker....

That's an opinion... and i express it... people might not like it... but that's my way...

Thanks for the nod. I understand where you are coming from...the model was never attractive to all...others still can't believe it is only $10 per quarter.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note...obviously my app will keep improving...and I'm continuing to put focus on the usability...

I peruse the TD forums every now and then, and I'm really perplexed by some of the stuff you have to know to configure that thing. I almost seems like you have to know how to code to really use it, or am I not understanding the replies?
jumperjeff
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded TD2.0 21 days ago so I thought I'd give the screen layout features another chance before my trial period expires. I tried starting with a blank layout and attempted to create some screens.

I'm stumped. Sure, I could go to his site and ask for help, but should I really have to? I tried adding a couple columns and rows, but they just appear as boxes inside boxes.

Like I said before, it's way more complicated than it should be.

I sent in my first Dr. Neau payment a week or so ago mainly so I could refresh my memory about how your screen console features work. It's powerful, but you don't have to know HTML code to use it.

I'll be hosting a game on April 1 and will use TM with custom consoles for the first time since you started charging for the extra features.

Looking forward to it.

Jeff

PS. I just uninstalled TD2.0 from my laptop.
Rassal
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering TD and TM... when i switch to TM, i had a lot harder time configuring TM than TD... so you might not understand them or else...

As far as i can tell, TM is a better product, but there is too much stuff i don't use on it that it doesn't justify my needs to pay 10$ per quarter... let's say you would offer TM for a flat one shot rate, that might very well attract me back... i just hate to pay "Subscriptions" per month for a software... I pay my monthly bills once a month, why should i pay for software the same way i pay my phone bill? And if i run dry on cash i should give up on the very nice piece of software, i don't like your payment plan, that's all... i love the app, and will still be around here and comment on it... even if i don't pay or use it, it's still a great place to come and read stuff.
Rassal
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use consoles at all... i take what comes out of them by default... i am by no means a coder, and any app, TM or TD is easy to configure... i don't know about consoles, cause i don't customize them out... and since it's a feature i don't use, i don't really need that... beside, i host a couple of times a 2 table tourney, so i have to pay again, for something i only use a couple of times... and for the league features, well, statsgenie handle it out... so basicly, i could have sticked to TM without problem... but, TD is offering all of what i need for a single one time flat rate... and i can use custom layouts, multiple table tourney and still track my league with statsgenie... so why not?

It's nothing personal to Dr.Neau at all, like i said, TM is very complete, and more powerful than TD... it's just, for the price, TD is a better value from my point of view than TM... that's all...
Rassal
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
Rassal wrote:
Well... i am being honest here, and i tried all version... Then came the java things... the laptop i use doesn't really like Java much, it's slow (Pentium M 600mhz to 1400mhz) and only 256mb of memory

Can't do much about that. I will say that even Corey recommends more than 256mb on a system...

Rassal wrote:
and since i use it, TM only had one upgrade

You hit me during a dry period...but if you check out the "Development and Release News" forum, you'll see what the actual frequency has been, and is starting to be again.

Rassal wrote:

Thanks for the nod. I understand where you are coming from...the model was never attractive to all...others still can't believe it is only $10 per quarter.

Well, i can't afford a laptop, and my laptop is my job's laptop... so i can't comply on what's free to use for me... even RAM on it wouldn't justify the use i have for a poker tournament manager... TD runs fine on 256mb, so is the rest of my laptop...

And i admit for the dry period that prior to that, there was plenty of upgrades, but get on my side, see it from my point of view, from where i am, i have to choose between one very fine app that cost 10$ per quarter to run with all features, and another, less finely equipped, but still a good thing that cost a flat 25$ to use at will.... see my point?
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look out, he's starting to hint that he might be charging for the next full release...
paul
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think $40 a year is cheap!

About 1 hours work to most people (well it is when the exchange rate is like this)
Rewind
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Well I think $40 a year is cheap!

About 1 hours work to most people (well it is when the exchange rate is like this)

What is your job that you make $40 an hour? Are they hiring?
For me, $40 is 3 hours of work.
paul
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just the xchange rate that makes it sound good - you think my house costs me $2500 pm to run so $40 per hour is not brilliant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: