drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld Management.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Handheld Management..... Reply with quote

What would you guys thing about a handheld (Pocket PC or Palm) that has the ability to manage basic functions (by basic I mean buy-ins, re-buys, add-ins, eliminations ..etc using some sort of remote management via wifi or Bluetooth)? I’ve already suggested this to Jeff, but wanted to see if anyone else might be interested…..
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually just thinking the same thing... My Ipaq doesn't have wi-fi (I was cheap) but does contain bluetooth and the stalwart IR. What if you would sync the Pocket PC at the beginning of the tourney via IR, usb, or bluetooth. After every round (or some time during play) you would resync. Events could be entered on the palm and displayed on the PC.

-Max
csmith
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has beat you to it - http://www.birdsoft.biz/pokertimer.htm

cds
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that - but there's no networkability - I kinda see the use of the Pocket PC as a remote control for the server. I'd like to see the client side have the same functionality as well (something I heard is comming soon!!!).

-Max
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: That's what Macs are for Reply with quote

All you'd need is a Bluetooth enabled Mac, and a BT-enabled phone or Palm, along with Salling Clicker v2.2 installed on the Mac, and you could do everything from the handheld - rebuys, eliminations, timer stop/start.

Works like a dream.
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: That's what Macs are for Reply with quote

rastapete wrote:
All you'd need is a Bluetooth enabled Mac...

What's a Mac? Smile (Intel Inside)

rastapete wrote:
...Salling Clicker v2.2 installed on the Mac...

Wha-what? Please explain to us Wintel users what all that means...

-Max
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts were along the sam line as Max (remote control for the server).....I've played with a couple of remote desktop managers to try to accomplish this....but having to move around the screen is frustrating......
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Salling Clicker Reply with quote

Salling Clicker is an application that interfaces between your desktop/laptop and a bluetooth enabled phone or Palm. You can do things like control your MP3 or DVD player (volume, pause/play, select tracks, etc), as well as more generic things like manipulate the pointer, send left-clicks, right-clicks, or key presses to the computer.

It would be trivial to operate TM remotely with this software and a compatible device.
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Windows equivallent?

-Max
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxPower wrote:
Is there a Windows equivallent?

-Max

Y'know, I seem to recall hearing about something called 'Jeyo' that was supposed to try to bring similar functionality to Windows. Never seen it in operation, but have a go at it.
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a couple of programs that could do that with a Pocket PC and thought about them…(do a google search for Pocket PC Remote Desktop).but I was also looking at the ability to rebuy, eliminate…ect…..which requires the ability to select players from a list……which the programs I saw wouldn’t allow (come to think of it I guess you could program one button to ‘tab’ and that might work)…………What I really was looking for was the ability to manage a TM Server in another room (since I tend to have my tourneys at my home) or where I might not be able to read the screen (since I don’t have a situation where I can runa projector)….that would require the popup list to appear on the handheld to select players….If I could view the screen I would just use a presentation mouse (RF mouse with a button/joystick for movement) for a whole lot less than a PDA…….
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here' a company with at product that is customizable that gives you remote control....but again ...you probably need to see the computer screen.......

http://xronox.com/XronoxSite/TotalInputEliteInfo.aspx
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it possible at this time to run the program from an Ipaq? I would love to just have the "Usable" interface on the IPaq, i.e. Buyins, rebuys, addons, eliminations, etc. Basically just a menu on that interface, you select the options with the stylus and it populates another menu.

Making any sense?

Josh
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at this time.....but that's what I'd like to see.....it's on the enhnacement list....but way, way down there......
JoshFink
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least its on the list. Would be VERY COOL!!!

I'd pay $50 for a program that did this (maybe not a lot, but a lot for me... Very Happy )

Josh
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.......I played with several desktop controllers trying to accomplish this...(VNC was one that was free).....but they were just to hard to use with a full screen application......
RPRobins
"Ace High"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried any of them, but there are several remote control applications for PalmOS. I know of NoviiRemote and OmniRemote, and just did a search at Handango for remote controls and also found a "Bluetooth PC Remote Controller" and a "WIremote" that look to be specifically designed to control PCs.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my new Palm Treo the other day...so I'm open to suggestions.
http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
Slick_207
"Cowboys"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to eliminate players, do rebuys, and reseat players from a pocketPC..

with 802.11 could the pocket pc be a server and a laptop be a client to display everything to the group?
JBWilkins
"Twos full of Threes"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried most of the desktop control programs for Pocket PC and none really worked to well, mostly due to the limitations of the screen size…..the scrolling around just got old….

The eliminating players, re-buy and maybe reseat would be all I am looking for…..and maybe the clock and blinds levels…

I guess the first step would be implementing these items to be controlled by a client…then maybe building a client for the handhelds……or porting the standard client with some tweaks due to screen size……
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    drneau.com Forum Index -> The v2 Bucket All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: