drneau.com Forum Index drneau.com
A discussion board for drneau.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New property dialogs for BuyIn, AddOn and Rebuy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: New property dialogs for BuyIn, AddOn and Rebuy Reply with quote

Based on beta feedback, I've tweaked the property dialogs for Buy-Ins, Add-Ons and Rebuys.

Let me know what you think:

http://home.comcast.net/~jneau
MissileMan
"Miracle Flush"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New property dialogs for BuyIn, AddOn and Rebuy Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
Based on beta feedback, I've tweaked the property dialogs for Buy-Ins, Add-Ons and Rebuys.

Let me know what you think:

That looks great!
MaxPower
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on, Doc...

The Qty Purchased field - is that strictly for Simple Tourneys? Will that be "greyed out" when a tracked tourney/league option is used?

Max
A touch of grey kinda suits you anyway...
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxPower wrote:
Spot on, Doc...
The Qty Purchased field - is that strictly for Simple Tourneys? Will that be "greyed out" when a tracked tourney/league option is used?

Exactly.

Also, for Standard Tournaments, that "Counts" panel won't exist. Counts will be updated automatically as you buy-in, add-on etc.

That mechanism is currently what I'm working on. It's a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff you don't care about...except that it's going to be more efficient and in the end easier to use.

Here's how it'll work (on the surface, it'll LOOK at lot the same as v2).

In v2, you purchased an buy-in for a player. That added an item to history, which caused the history to get revalidated and all player states/counts recalculated, which in turn caused tournament counts to get updated, payout schedule to be reevaluated, etc. A lot of processing. And worse, the processing got more involved with each additional item added to the history. In v2, the history was the authority and everything flowed from that. Additionally, there were a lot of things being fired every single time any little thing changed..and one change could result in two other changes...both of which would cause a lot of recalculation when in reality we only cared about the last one. (For instance, if you buy 5 players in, you really only need to do recalculation after the last one...not after each).

Another side-effect of v2's history-being-the-authority is that fixing mistakes was complex. I'm sure some of you have had to deal with that.

In v3, when you purchase a buy-in for a player it's going to be a lot smarter behind the scenes. An item will be added to history, but the history won't be the authority. Player records will be the authority. That relieves the need to recalculate player states/counts. And recalculations will be done at the end of transactions, rather than after every single property change.

Regarding fixing mistakes in v3...you'll have options. Since the history is not the authority, you'll be able to go directly to a player and correct what needs to be corrected. You can then go back to the history when you have time and correct it...or you don't have to. If you DO want to correct history, there will be great facilities for editing and verifying.
boschie
"A Set of Mop Squeezers"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the use of the radiobutton "Yes, under a certaing chip count A player must drop below .... chips" in the "Can a player purchase the rebuy before being elimanated?" box?

It seems useless to me because the program does not know how many chips the player has.

So, a simple yes or no would be sufficient in my opinion.

Or am i overlooking something?

GRTZ,
boschie
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boschie wrote:
What is the use of the radiobutton "Yes, under a certaing chip count A player must drop below .... chips" in the "Can a player purchase the rebuy before being elimanated?" box?

It seems useless to me because the program does not know how many chips the player has.

So, a simple yes or no would be sufficient in my opinion.

Or am i overlooking something?

GRTZ,
boschie

Well, the app doesn't know it, but if you only allow rebuys under a certain stack size, wouldn't you like to note that somewhere?
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 'Quantity Purchased', means 'Total Number of Buy-ins', maybe change the name to, oh, I don't know, 'Total Number of Buy-ins' or sump'n.
drneau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastapete wrote:
If 'Quantity Purchased', means 'Total Number of Buy-ins', maybe change the name to, oh, I don't know, 'Total Number of Buy-ins' or sump'n.

Well, it isn't "Total Number of Buy-ins"...it's "Total Number of THIS Buy-in".

So, the label would then need to be "Total Number of Purchases of this Buy-In Option"?

I'm open to better wording. I thought "Quantity Purchased" was pretty self-explanatory, but I've been wrong before.
rastapete
Founding Father
Founding Father

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drneau wrote:
rastapete wrote:

Well, it isn't "Total Number of Buy-ins"...it's "Total Number of THIS Buy-in".

So, the label would then need to be "Total Number of Purchases of this Buy-In Option"?

I'm open to better wording. I thought "Quantity Purchased" was pretty self-explanatory, but I've been wrong before.

It wasn't clear to me what 'Quantity' referred to (it could be # of Buy-ins, # of dollars, or # of chips). Think of me as the test-idiot, if you get me to understand something then you really are idiot-proof!

Since the field appears on different forms representing BIs, RBs & AOs; can you pull data into the field name so it says something like 'Total No. of Buy-Ins Purchased'; 'Total No. of Re-buys purchased' etc.?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    drneau.com Forum Index -> Development and Release News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: